30+ days ago - req6998
Principal Systems Design Functional Architect
Research & Development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & Development, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering
Physics, Mechanical engineering, Mechanical engineering
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
LPP EUV is generated by firing high energy laser pulses at Tin droplet targets at kHz repetition rates. The resulting plasma pulses create both desired EUV light, and undesired Tin debris in the form of ballistic particulates and atomic vapor. If unabated, the Tin debris will coat all surfaces in the vessel, including optical components, impacting the transmission of EUV and Laser light. We are looking for a Systems Design Engineer (Semiconductor Equipment) acting in the role of Tin Management Function Architect.
The objective is to identify technologies and design concepts that can be developed to address the undesired Tin debris, and partner with Project Management to ensure delivery of robust product solutions. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with a broad technical background, excellent communication skills, and ability to influence others. As a Function Architect you will work with a team of highly professional engineers and scientists with diverse academic backgrounds and many years of experience. Your job is to provide technical leadership to the team to deliver practical solutions to enable this complex function.
- Develops the roadmap, requirements, specifications, architecture, and technology development needs for Tin Management in the EUV Source, which is required to improve optics lifetime, and overall system availability
- Identifies concepts that can address performance gaps; assesses technology maturity and defines the development and engineering work breakdown for execution by cross-functional teams of seasoned scientists and engineers
- Works with competence experts to develop and validate a model for Tin loading in the EUV Source vessel, which can be used to predict performance and issues, and drive the development roadmap
- Leads architecture and prototyping definition; works with cross-functional teams of mechanical engineers, materials scientists, optical, electrical and software engineers to develop solutions to roadmap
- Develops and maintains the specification document tree; writes and/or reviews key specification and design documentation, coordinates key reviews with Systems Engineering and Project Stakeholders to ensure functional specifications are aligned to system requirements
- Identifies and engages third parties for development of technology solutions; Creates Statements of Work (SOWs) to define phased deliverables for budgeting and project management
- Defines Test Protocols; analyzes test data; makes recommendations based on test results for design changes and operational changes to deliver improved performance of sub-modules
- Assesses technology and project risks and defines risk mitigation strategies and approaches with the project leadership team
- Mentors, coaches and oversees the activity of more junior Architects in the Function and Competence organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Has led a successfully completed project.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Project Engineering experience including leading small technical teams.
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling, including mesh generation, CFD processing, and post-processing analysis
- Interpretation and application of CFD results to guide hardware and process optimization
- Familiarity with heat transfer analysis and methodologies
- Experience with materials in extreme environments and interactions with liquid metals
- Experience with thermal and gas flow elements of process chamber design
- MS or Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics or related technical discipline, 8+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
- Previous role(s) in Technology, Process and/or Engineering Design of Semiconductor processing equipment a strong plus
- Passion for commercialization and driving innovation at a rapid pace
- Highly motivated, enthusiast, flexible and a good communicator
- Think broad, learn fast, take responsibility, act decisively and show critical sense
- Experience with product lifecycle management, including roadmap definition
- Ability to initiate, influence and drive