30+ days ago - req7110
Sr. Laser & Optical Systems Scientist
Research & Development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & Development
Physics, Physics, Physics
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
“This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.”
We are presenting you with a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from tin droplet formation and laser light amplification to tin debris disposal and EUV collection. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, optics, photonics, lasers to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
- Conceive, design, develop and prototype high power infrared (1-10mm) pulsed laser systems for EUV generation, as well as metrology systems for measuring the performance of these lasers under EUV operation;
- Also work with vendors to specify and develop required laser technologies (lasers, beam delivery, metrology) for applications within the EUV source where appropriate;
- Plan, develop and execute system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge on optical system design
- Provide product design guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product teams
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to product development teams to guide product improvement and development
- Troubleshoot issues with laser and optical systems to identify design issues and constraints
- PhD new college grad or MS degree with 5+ years of relevant experience in laser physics, optics, photonics or equivalent field
- Strong theoretical understanding of laser physics, with the ability to perform optical modeling of laser / optical systems
- Hands-on experience with complex breadboard laser and optical system design, alignment, and performance characterization
- Deep understanding of scientific research methods
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and development of data analysis tools with Matlab or Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences
- Practical experience with high power pulsed laser systems including laser produced plasma systems
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, design, build and test molecular gas (CO2) or solid state pulsed laser systems
- Hands-on experience with high power (>20kW) laser beam delivery and focusing systems
- High-precision optical metrology development, including associated high-speed data acquisition and integration with control system functionality
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.