30+ days ago - req8182
Computational Fluid Dynamics Expert
Research & Development
In a nutshell
Research & Development
Physics, Mechanical engineering
Are you an expert on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) but think you have seen it all?
Great! Because now we have a very interesting and challenging position for you.
ASML’s mission is to enable continuous shrink of microchip size, by developing machines which are at the heart of a wafer fab and which are capable of recreating an image with nanoscale feature sizes on a wafer. While feature sizes become smaller, demands with respect to accuracy and reliability of this image become stricter. As a consequence, conditioning all the solid, liquid and gaseous bodies in the optical path in our scanner also becomes more demanding.
As a computational fluid dynamics expert you will get the chance to work in a High End and High Tech environment. You’ll be challenged to solve extremely complex cases in a multidisciplinary project team. Not only you will be analyzing CFD but you will also set your footprint on the development and experimental validation of new and existing CFD models.
As a CFD-expert, your mission is to understand the physics behind temperature control (milliKelvin), flow dynamics (microns) and contamination (ppm) in geometries with wide range of length scales. Furthermore, optimize design parameters in the critical light path of the optical column, in order to improve machine performance such as defectivity, throughput, and overlay.
You will be part of a project team, working to meet a shared goal against challenging constraints. You will be providing input for test plans, carrying out analyses, reporting results and conclusions, interfacing with other projects, marketing, customer support and your internal customers. Working at ASML as an engineer is about being part of a dynamic, fast-paced community, facing unprecedented challenges at the forefront of technology together. You will find an open environment, offering many possibilities to take charge of your career, to be inspired, to have fun.
- Provide knowledge, understanding and description of complex flow and thermal phenomena and their impact on the current design in order to initiate solutions or direction for ASML projects and functions
- Develop models and apply CFD analysis to investigate transport phenomena in order to evaluate sensitivity of design parameters to machine performance
- Participate in the preparation of Test Performance Specifications (TPS) to identify critical test, ensure model validation and show where CFD will create added RequisitionLocal for the project and to the experiment
- Troubleshoot and contribute in escalations
- Frequently interact with D&E projects, Functions, Competences, Customer Support and Research.
MSc and/or PhD in Physics or Mechanical Engineering specialized in flow and/or thermal.
- Broad knowledge and experience in CFD simulations and tools (at least 5 years in the industry is required)
- Proven experience in using STAR-CCM+
- Experience on broader range of tools (AMEsim, MacroFlow, COMSOL, FLUENT, CFX, OpenFOAM…) and methods (LBM, DSMC…) is desirable
- Proven experience in implementing custom physics models
- Proven experience in solving multi-physics problems
- Experience with experiments planning, execution, analysis and results communication
- Experience with particle transport in flows, Rarefied gas flow and/or plasma physics is preferred
- Knowledge on Acoustics, Turbulence modelling, Flow-Structure Interaction, multiphase flow, microfluidics is a plus
- Desirable: LINUX, Bash, PBSpro, Java, C++, Python, Matlab, NX.
- Team player, responsible, reliable, flexible, committed, coach
- Strong pragmatic attitude, inquisitive, self-propelling and enthusiastic.
- Out-of-the-box analytical thinker
- Open-minded to learning new methods and physics
- Being able to communicate complex topics in a simple way in order to convey your vision.
Context of the position
ASML is organized in 3 business lines: Deep UV, Extreme UV and Applications. The CFD team will serve several projects in the different business lines. The CFD team is responsible for the validation and the maturity growth of simulation models/processes and provides knowledge/understanding of the relevant physics phenomena.
You will be working in a team of experts who have the ambition to challenge high-end complex flow problems. This requires committed people who would like to use and broad their modelling experience in the coming years and who aim to be recognized as expert throughout the company in his/her field of expertise, by contributing to a team of experts that respect each other and are always willing to help their colleagues.
The projects we serve provide new designs, the software, the implementation and the functional integration up till testing at machine performance. For this, they have close interaction with other competences like: servo; system dynamics; thermal; infrastructure; software and with performance projects like: levelling, projection, focus and defectivity. As a CFD expert you are expected to oversee them all and act not as a side consultant, but as an active project member willing to go the extra mile. Due to our long history in flow and thermal modeling our influence spreads over the complete ASML-organization, we focus on ASML core and critical simulations and interact with dedicated farm out parties that apply our way of working and systems to execute part of the CFD work.
ASML creates the conditions
that enable you to realize your full potential. We provide state-of-the-art
facilities, opportunities to develop your talents, international career
opportunities, a stimulating and inspiring environment, and most of all, the commitment
of a company that recognizes and rewards outstanding performance.
What is working at ASML like? Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpAMguP-vQ
Our selection process includes an online Talent Exploration that gathers
information about your key drivers, your personal RequisitionLocals, motivators and career
ambitions. The Talent Exploration enables both you and us to explore if there
is a mutual match - not only for today, but also for your future career at
Please add your complete & recent CV and cover letter for this position to
We can't process your application without the above mentioned documents.
You can apply for this job using below button: “Apply for this job”.
Applications sent by email can’t be processed.